Sunday 20 October 2013

Church on Sunday...Paris, Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue




My recent trip to Paris had me wandering in some of the lesser known areas of the city - in so doing I came across a number of churches serving the local communities. The church of Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue on the southern edge of the 15th arrondissement is the first 'modern' (1933 -1935) design I have featured. I was really taken by the interior...



...designed in a typical nave and two side aisles of a basilica you are drawn towards the fabulous choir.




The church's modern take on stained glass windows does, I think, work really well with the smaller round windows each including text from the gospels.







No 'Joan'...


...but there is a fine statue of Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue is by Raymond Delamarre (1890-1986)


Looking back towards the entrance and church organ.


The 46 metre high bell tower has a different Raymond Delamarre sculpture on each corner including one of Saint Francis of Assisi.





No comments:

Post a Comment